MK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio

2 posters

Go down

Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio Empty Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio

Post by Admin Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks to deathsickle7 for posting the question at the forums:

Good Day sirs, May I ask the legality of this? Double Counterspell
in a Counterspell attempt by a countering sorcerer, the countering sorcerer has book of power with Word of Refusal and Apprentice Folio with Deny. The folio can be equipped as an item while the book of power has no wand type requirement so it is legal to equip both.

In a counter spell attempt, i think it is legal to use both Word of Refusal and Deny to add a total of +4 to counter Spell rolls.

For example in Conquest or 500pt battles,

Imagine Vithzerai with 14 attack to counterspell a casting sorcerer gets +1 counterspell roll plus +2 Deny plus +2 Word of Refusal so vithzerai has 19 counter spell plus 1d6 roll.

Combine this combo with goldyx with the turajan tome and vithz gets plus +5 so a total of 24 plus 1d6 roll, meaning he has 27 counterspelling average. i think this is legal

Hope to get Sigmazero to clarify on this one.

Cheers!

xxxxx

as per Sigma:

Interesting question. It's hard to claim this as an "official" ruling since I'm not an official arbitrator (and since I have low confidence in NECA's ability to gauge the intent of the rules and spirit of the game), but my take would be that no, you cannot do this; my understanding is the intent is that you can only cast one spell at a time, and Deny and Word of Refusal are "cast" to use (based on the wording of their cards).

If this question had come up when the game was still with the original company, I'm sure there would have been discussion between myself and WizKids. My guess is one of the following two answers would have been decided upon:
1) You can wield both spellbooks just fine, but you can only cast one Counterspell at any given time.
2) You can only wield one spellbook at a time.

(#2 is only possible due to Book of Power and it's lack of a wielding requirement anyway, but I can see the possibility of a new rule having been added to limit units to only wielding one Spellbook item).

Basically, my reasoning behind this is that the general intent of spellcasting seems to have been that you cast spells one at a time, and that you cannot cast them together.

Just my take, for whatever it's worth. I have no idea what NECA would say about this (if they even bothered to rule on it at all).

reference:
http://www.ccgrealms.com/showthread.php?645289-Good-Day-sirs-May-I-ask-the-legality-of-this-Double-Counterspell
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://mkpinoy.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio Empty Re: Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio

Post by Celestial Striker Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:58 am

nice sir! thanks to you guys for the correction! Very Happy
Celestial Striker
Celestial Striker

Back to top Go down

Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio Empty Re: Double Counterspell? Book of Power and Apprentice Folio

Post by Admin Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 pm

No prob. Then again my initial reaction was it seems possible, then again we also have to think about the essence of the thing. Sigma keeps us grounded.

More Gold mines and gems still waiting for us to divulge...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://mkpinoy.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 am

This set up may still be useful if you are hell bent in countering your opponent's spells.

Say your opponent casts a spell and you use the counterspell spell in Book of Power. Same turn, your opponent's other caster casts another equally devastating spell. You can then use the counterspell spell in the folio since the other counterspell spell is currently faced down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celestial Striker Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am

Good point, so the combo is not totally useless! Laughing
Celestial Striker
Celestial Striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:23 am

Yep...not totally useless. Unless your opponent's army is not at all spell dependent or does not have any spells to be countered to begin with, rendering your big page count investment on the counterspells for both spell books totally pointless when you could've assigned other more useful spells instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:34 am

Tournament wise I'd rather field more figs or other spells than to invest on 2 SB with 2 counterspells in it.. but it's a case to case basis.. planning for a title match or something else which will only require you to build an army against one opponent, this would be helpful versus spell dependent armies/factions. It's still cool to have a book of power and a folio Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down